What Is the Best PG/VG Ratio for Me?
What Is the Best PG/VG Ratio for Me?August 31st, 2018
When you vape, flavors and nicotine aren't the majority of what you inhale. Most of what's in any bottle of e-liquid, in fact, are the base liquids vegetable glycerin and propylene glycol. VG and PG contribute to the mouth feel of an e-liquid and create the clouds that you see when you vape. They also dilute the e-liquid's other ingredients to their proper strengths and keep those ingredients mixed, so you don't need to shake the bottle each time you fill your tank.
You can find some e-liquids using only VG and no PG. Those e-liquids are ideal for cloud chasers and the few people who suffer from PG allergies or sensitivities. In the past – when most e-liquids came from China – PG-only e-liquids were common. Today, though, most e-liquids contain VG/PG blends. Choosing the best VG/PG ratio for your needs can help you have a better vaping experience, and that’s what we’re going to help you achieve in this article.
What Are VG and PG?
Vegetable Glycerin and Propylene Glycol are common ingredients in products such as cosmetics and foods. VG is a byproduct of the soapmaking industry, and PG is synthesized in factories. The VG and PG used in e-liquids are both food grade. The FDA has applied the “Generally Recognized as Safe” label to both VG and PG, meaning that the FDA doesn’t consider them toxic for consumption by humans. VG and PG both keep products fresh by retaining water and inhibiting microbial growth. They emulsify ingredients and keep them mixed. VG also adds a mild natural sweetness to foods. It’s likely that you already consume VG and PG – and put them on your skin – almost daily.
How Does PG Affect an E-Liquid?
An e-liquid that contains more PG than VG:
- Is thinner. PG flows easily through atomizer coils with small wick openings, making it a good choice for very small vape pens. The thinness also contributes to a very light feel in the mouth.
- Generates small vapor clouds that disappear quickly.
- Produces a stronger throat hit. An e-liquid with a high nicotine strength and PG percentage is a good choice for a recent convert to vaping who wants a cigarette-like experience.
- Supports a clearly defined flavor profile. PG has virtually no flavor of its own. It allows the flavors of an e-liquid to come through more clearly.
How Does VG Affect an E-Liquid?
An e-liquid that contains more VG than PG:
- Is thicker. High-VG e-liquids work best with large atomizer coils that have wide wick openings. If you use a box mod or large vape pen, you probably want an e-liquid with a higher VG/PG ratio. The thickness of VG contributes to a full, creamy feel in the mouth.
- Generates large vapor clouds that hover in the air for a while before fading.
- Produces a smoother throat hit. An e-liquid with a low nicotine strength and high VG percentage is a good choice for an experienced vaper who no longer experiences occasional tobacco cravings.
- Sweetens e-liquids slightly. Although some people feel that VG can muddle the flavor profile of an e-liquid, it works great with e-liquids meant to taste sweet. VG is an excellent replacement for an alternative sweetener such as sucralose.
Finding Your Best VG/PG Ratio
Five Pawns offers e-liquid in two different VG/PG ratios: 70/30 and 50/50. Blending VG and PG allows us to create e-liquids that work with the widest possible variety of vaping devices and can satisfy the needs of virtually any vaper. We encourage you to try both blends and discover which one best suits your vaping style. We can, however, make a few generalizations that can help you choose which blend to try first. These two groups overlap in many ways, and you may ultimately find that the flavor – not the VG/PG ratio – is the trait by which you determine your favorite e-liquids. Experimentation is the key to learning what works best for you.
You may prefer our 70/30 blend if you:
- Use a sub-ohm vaping device – such as a box mod or a large vape pen – that operates at a high temperature.
- Use a rebuildable atomizer or a tank with a large atomizer coil.
- Want an e-liquid that gives you a thick, full mouth feel and creates large vapor clouds.
- Use lower-nicotine e-liquids and prefer a smooth vaping experience that’s light on the throat hit.
- Prefer a direct-to-lung inhalation style.
You may prefer our 50/50 blend if you:
- Use a small vaping device – such as a pod vaping system or an all-in-one vape pen – that operates at a low temperature.
- Use a refillable tank or pod with a small atomizer coil.
- Want an e-liquid that creates smaller, more discreet vapor clouds that fade quickly without filling a room with clouds.
- Use higher-nicotine e-liquids and prefer a tobacco-like vaping experience with a stronger throat hit.
- Prefer a mouth-to-lung inhalation style.
Check out our selection of e-liquids today and contact us at (949) 474-1150 or email@example.com if you have any questions!